Pages

Part 3 of 60 - Great Haywood

(You can pre-order 2nd edition signed colour paperbacks and hardbacks until 14th August @ 
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/a-runaways-story-of-living-on-the-streets)


If you'd rather not wait until June to read the full version then you can also order a copy of Poems From a Runaway on amazon for immediately delivery at 
(non colour/signed paperbacks)




GREAT HAYWOOD

Another bad letter from school today,
And my mum has already got stress.
I just feel now that I’m a burden on people,
And this is just gonna make mess.

Don’t wanna hear anger, don’t wanna hear shouting,
And I don’t wanna make my mum swear.
I just feel it’s better for everyone here,
If I made my own way elsewhere.

I don’t really know where I’m going,
But the road down to Stafford ain’t far.
I just really hope, that I don’t get caught,
By someone that spots me from a car.

So I make my way, a mile and half down the road,
Until there’s a turning to take.
There’s a sign that says ‘Stone’ and the name sounds quite cool,
So that is the way that I make.


Never heard of this place, but I think with that name, 
that there’s surely something to see.
So I head on my way, and I think by now,
That my mum could be looking for me.

I walk through the village of Little Haywood,
Still trying to head towards Stone.
Across the road were two girls, and one recognised me,
And I told them I’d ran off from home.

They offered to help me get somewhere to sleep,
“We’ll sneak you some food too”, they said.
I met them both later, and at first the plan,
Was for one of them to sneak me into their shed.

“I can’t get you in, because my dad is at home,
But here’s a blanket you can keep.
I know just the place, there’s a ditch down the road,
It’s sheltered and you’ll get some sleep”

So we made our way and walked up the road,
Through the village and then to the top end.
We then get to a junction, where there’s a main road,
 The way to Stone just round the bend.


One girl pointed over to across the road,
And said “Look there’s that ditch you can stay.
It’s covered in trees, look we got to go back,
Because there’s not much light left in the day.”

They’d gave me a pillow and I made a bed,
With a blanket and a bag that I’d lent.
They gave me some fruit and said “We’ve got to scoot,
We’ll see you tomorrow” then went.

I wondered around for a short while,
But soon did come the dark night.
And every few minutes came fast cars and headlights, 
And I just hoped that I’d stayed out of sight.

By now I know, that I’ve crossed the line,
And I’ve actually now ran away.
But I’m under the moon and now look at the stars,
And haven’t thought once about the next day.

When morning came, I then wandered around,
But there’s nothing at all here I can do.
So I waited around, to meet up with the girls,
When I’ll see them next I’ve not got a clue.


In the afternoon I then bumped into them,
When they had got back home from their school.
“The police have been asking everyone about you”
She said, but I just kept my cool.

“We’ll pop up by later, and drop you some food”,
One of the girls had then said to me.
“I’ll sneak out my pudding, and come and bring it out, 
to you once I’ve finished my tea”.

I met them both later and one girl had said,
“Maybe it’s time that you went back home.”
I said “I’ll be alright, I’ll just stay one more night,
Then make my way over to Stone.”

And then around midnight I must have been tired,
As I stared at the branch of a tree.
For over five minutes, I’d contemplated,
If there was a big spider in front of me.

I’d got really scared and then so made a leap,
Right out of the bush quick like a stag.
Now what do I do? Because in there’s my blanket,
My food, my coat and my bag.


So I make my way just a few yards down the road,
To a house with some lights I could see.
I knocked on the door, a middle-aged man had then answered,
I said “Please mate, could you help me?”

“I think there’s a spider in the bush I’ve been sleeping,
And I just need to get back my stuff.”
“How old are you mate?” he then asked me,
“And why are you out there sleeping rough?”

“Seventeen” I replied, and I’ve been kicked out,
Is there anything at all you can do?”
“I’ll just get my torch” he then said in reply,
“Then I will come there to help you.”

We walked to the bush and then he shone his torch,
And said “Mate, there’s nothing to fear,
Your stuff is alright, and there is no sight,
Of a spider that would bite you here.”

So then I said “Thanks”, and then off the man went,
And I felt like a fool for my scare.
And then I could see around four miles away,
A helicopter up in the air.

“What if that helicopter was looking for me?
“It’s probably not” in my head I had said.
Before closing my eyes, to try to get some sleep,
But I still have those thoughts in my head.

I’d got no more than around one hour of sleep,
And I’d woken up covered in sticks.
I went to find warmth, but there was nowhere at all,
By now it was sometime around six.

Two hours go by, oh now what should I do?
I shouldn’t stay here one day again.
But most of my morning I simply spent trying,
To get myself out of the rain.

I did all that I could, to try and find shelter,
But there’s nowhere, this village is small.
And then on my way back, again to the ditch,
It seemed that I’d hit a brick wall.

I don’t know how I’m gonna survive,
No money, no food and I’m wet.
There’s nowhere to go, except for back home,
And then I found myself upset.


The only thing, I could think of to do,
Was to flag down a car that came by.
And tell them that I, have ran away,
Maybe they’ll get me home into the dry.

So I see some cars, and I wave and I shout,
But the first five cars ignore.
And then a nice lady stops whilst I am crying,
I tell her I can’t run anymore.

“Get in” she says, “I’ll help you get back,
I’m a nurse” then she showed me ID.
I said I was scared that I’d let them all down,
But she said they’d be glad to see me.

We got to her house and she gave me a towel,
And then she rang the police from her phone,
She walked back in the room, and said “they’re on their way, your mum just wants you there back home.”

A policeman came by, and picked me up,
I was scared that my mum would be mad.
“Don’t worry” he said, “You just need your bed,
You’re alright and everyone’s glad.”

“If you’d not been found within the next half an hour,
We were gonna put you on the TV.”
And he then told me, last night they’d got a chopper,
Out all night looking for me.


Watch/ listen at


(You can pre-order 2nd edition signed colour paperbacks and hardbacks until 14th August @ 
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/a-runaways-story-of-living-on-the-streets)


If you'd rather not wait until June to read the full version then you can also order a copy of Poems From a Runaway on amazon for immediately delivery at 
(non colour/signed paperbacks)